It’s not too late to make a New Year’s Resolution to be prepared. and the 20th anniversary of the Northridge Earthquake is a good reminder. The Seven Steps to Earthquake Safety, listed below, produced and promoted by (California) Earthquake Country Alliance, may help you and your family prepare to survive and recover from California’s next damaging earthquake.
And, while the steps below help you be prepared, you can also help your neighbors and have them help you by having a Neighborhood Emergency Team in your neighborhood. Be sure to get information about – and become a part of – CERT and the Los Angeles Neighborhood Team Program.
1. Secure Your Space by identifying your hazards and securing movable items.
2. Plan to be Safe by creating a disaster plan and identifying communication needs.
3. Organize Disaster Supplies in convenient locations.
4. Minimize Financial Hardship by strengthening your property and considering insurance.
5. Drop, Cover, and Hold On when the ground shakes. If you’re in bed, stay there – with a pillow over your head – until the shaking stops.
6. Improve Safety by avoiding injury to yourself – having shoes and a flashlight by your bed, for example – then helping the injured, preventing further damage, and evacuating from tsunami zones (which is not really an issue if you’re in Melrose Village at the time).
7. Reconnect and Restore daily life by reconnecting with others, repairing damage, and rebuilding community.