If your driveway is blocked, what do you do?


Melrose Village is a very popular area, with people coming here from all over the world to visit our stores, restaurants, and theaters.  Most of the visitors behave well – but there are some exceptions.

One complaint we hear regularly is from residents who can’t get in or out of their driveways – because a car is blocking the way.  Blocking someone’s driveway is not just rude, it’s illegal.  If it happens to you, you can get the car towed.

Just call L.A. Parking Enforcement at (213) 485-4184.  When the recorded message starts, press 2 to reach a live operator.

We have found that Parking Enforcement is very prompt and effective.  (Perhaps because they generate revenue for the City, which is very much needed, especially these days.)  On the few occasions we have called to get a car towed, Parking Enforcement officers have arrived in less than an hour.

If you don’t want to have the car towed, but you do want the offending parker to know that they should not have blocked your driveway, you can ask that the car be given a ticket.

You don’t need to be there for Parking Enforcement to give out just a ticket.  But you do need to be present to get a car towed, so that you can show you are a resident, and that your driveway is being blocked.

We are sometimes asked if we have any qualms about getting someone’s car towed.  The answer is No, Not At All.  That obnoxious parker is preventing someone from getting to work, a meeting, or an appointment.  And what if there were an emergency, but you could not even get out of your driveway?  Towing is exactly what that person deserves.  And if the shoe were on the other foot, do you really think that person would hesitate to have your car towed?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to If your driveway is blocked, what do you do?

  1. JB says:

    Is this the number to call when you see all types of parking violations occurring or just blocked driveways? More and more, there are many cars parked on my permit-only block without permits and I’ve thought about calling to report it (one night I counted 11! cars without permits) but don’t know who to call.

    • Yes, call this number for all parking violations, including cars that park in permit areas without permits. You can also report a car that has been parked in the same spot on the street for more than 72 hours – that is illegal, and can be related to suspicious activity.

  2. Pingback: 2010 for the Melrose Village Blog in Review | Melrose Village Blog

  3. Great advice , someone parked their car in the alley behind our house so we couldn’t get our car out! We got in touch with the local council.

  4. Pingback: If a Car is Blocking Your Driveway in Los Angeles, Get it Towed | Melrose Village Blog

  5. Anderson says:

    Thank you guys, there was more than I expect it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s